Hazardous fumes: Do not inhale

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Microsoft Word is a hideous bitch-goddess

So, I'm working in Word, making up a project plan template for my document planning class. My original plan was to just use the same file as my information plan template and change the words, keeping the same structure and everything.

As I'm editing stuff, I realize that my margins are a bit too small (which is one of the comments I got on my information plan as well, my margins needed to be bigger to allow for printing). I decide I may as well just change them a bit and keep working, temporarily forgetting that Word is the worst word processor ever written. All the margins change, except for the header and footer, which now both extend well out over the margin.

I fiddled with their margins for a while, and each change would either completely destroy the text alignment in the header (why does shifting a margin a half centimeter make the text centre itself?) or affect the entire document. In frustration, I decide to make a new document, set up the margins first, and then copy stuff over.

Brilliant. I have a new document with decent margins for printing, and my cover and inside cover copy in perfectly, except the inside cover has a page number on it. I hadn't set up page numbers yet. I should have taken that as an omen and run away when I had the chance.

Like a fool, I pressed on. I set up new pages, added odd and even headers so I could always put the relevant information on the outside of the page, and then made the biggest mistake of my life. I added page numbers.

I'm no expert (yet), but I'm pretty sure that when I set up a page number system, each page should have a different number. Also, I'm pretty sure that when a new page gets added, the page number on it should be 1 greater than the page before it. In addition, I'm pretty sure that if I tell the footer to not be the same as the one before, it shouldn't be the same as the one before it.

Word thinks differently.

My document's page numbering started on the 3rd page, which recived the number 1. the second page worked out properly, getting the number 2, but so did the inside cover, which never had a page number put on it. I fixed that, and then added page 3, which got the number 1.

What?

I changed it to 3, and page 1 became 3. I changed that back to 1, and page 3 became 1. Somewhere in the the inside cover also became page 1, but I ignored it because page 2 stayed as page 2. I tried deleting the page numbers and adding them again, but that made page 3 page 5 and wouldn't let me remove the page numbers from the covers.

In desperation I removed odd and even headers, and every page became page 1.

That's where I sit now, a lonely, broken man, staring at a document where every page is the first page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home